Contact the City

2nd Street and Huey P. Long Ave.
Gretna, LA 70053
Get Directions

  • Business:  (504) 363-1500
  • Personnel Directory


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-18 of 18
Does the City of Gretna provide city services in the Zip Code area of 70056?
No, only the postal zip code of 70053 is serviced by the City of Gretna. Although the postal designation of "Gretna" lies within 70056, this area is unincorporated and is served by Jefferson Parish. You can call 736-6100 for further information.
Who do I call if I have a problem with my water bill?
Billing issues are to be directed to the Water billing Department during normal operating hours. Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday, except for holidays. Please call (504) 363-1561
Who do I call to report a water leak?
If you have to report a water leak on the city side (From the discharge side of the water meter or water coming up from the ground)call 363-1540. Also if you have a broken water pipe in your home or business, and you cant shut your water off at your own shut valve (normally located on the outside of building), the water department can temporarily shut your meter off so you can make the repair. Please Call: 363-1540
I can't flush my toilets, and my tub is backing up, what should I do?
In most cases, it is common that if you have more the one sewer drain backing up in your home or business, that it is possible that your sewer line going to the main is blocked. The Water & Sewer Department can come out and clean the line from the cities sewer clean-out (Normally located in front of the building, between the street & sidewalk)to the main. During heavy rainfall, the sewer lines can get infiltrated by rainwater. This can cause sewer backups also. This can sometimes be a problem that cant be corrected until the rainfall has stopped and the sewer system gets caught up with its pumping. In most cases, sewer backups will correct themselves after time when the rain has stopped. To help prevent future sewer problems, it is important that you only dispose of materials that are designed for a domestic sewer system. Also, try not to put any cooking grease or any large solids that you think will go down the drain without the proper equipment installed (Grease Trap or Garbage disposal/Use these items as directed). Grease can do the most damage to sewer pipes. Use this information to help prevent potential high repair cost to you and the city. If you need to report a sewer problem, please call 363-1540. You can also complete this online form HERE
Where do I vote in Gretna?
If you are a registered voter in the City of Gretna, the following locations are the polling places in our City. Don't forget that early voting takes place two weeks prior to the election day and ends on the Saturday prior to the election. You must vote in person at the Registrar of Voters Office 5001 Westbank Expressway, Suite C-2, Marrero, La. 70072. Phone: 504 - 349-5690 Fax: 504 - 349-5695, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M - F POLLING PLACES - CITY OF GRETNA Precinct G001: General Government Building, 200 Derbigny Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G002: Gould Volunteer Fire Station No. 2 501 Anson Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G003: David Crockett Volunteer Fire Sta. No. 1, 1136 Lafayette Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G004: Gretna No. 2 Academy, 701 Amelia Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G005: William S. Hart Elementary School, 2001 Hancock Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G006: William S. Hart Elementary School, 2001 Hancock Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G007: David Crockett Volunteer Fire Station, 2000 Hancock Street, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G008: Frederick Douglas School, 1400 Huey P. Long Ave., Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G009: Gould Volunteer Fire Sub-Station No. 2, 700 Gretna Boulevard, Gretna, LA 70053 Precinct G010: Dick White Community Center in Mel Ott Park, 2301 Belle Chasse Highway, Gretna, LA 70053 (NEW POLLING PLACE!) Precinct G011: Gretna Park Elementary School, 1130 Gretna Boulevard, Gretna, LA 70053
When is City Hall open for business?
Our normal working hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. City Hall is closed for the following observed holidays: 2012 Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday, January 16th Mardi Gras Day Tuesday, February 21st Good Friday Friday, April 6th Memorial Day Monday, May 28th Independence Day Wednesday, July 4th Labor Day Monday, September 3rd Veterans' Day Monday, November 12th Thanksgiving Holidays Thursday, November 22nd Friday, November 23rd Christmas Holidays Monday, December 24th Tuesday, December 25th New Year's Holidays Monday, December 31st Tuesday, January 1st, 2013
What area is governed by the City of Gretna?
The incorporated municipal limits of the City of Gretna can best be described as the area sharing the zip code 70053. If your address is "Gretna" but have a zip code of 70056, then you may be serviced by Jefferson Parish. If so, you can obtain parish services by calling (504) 736-6100. On January 1, 2009, the City of Gretna expanded to include part of the 70056 zip code area. It includes the area of Belle Chasse Hwy south to Bayou Fatma and the Gretna City limits at the Whitney/Verret Canal to Timberlane Drive and the rear property lines of Marlene Drive to 820 Fairfield Ave. This area encompasses the businesses on Belle Chasse Highway, Enterprise Drive, the 200 Block of Fairfield Avenue and the Timberlane Estates Subdivision. If you're unsure, you can call 363-5784 to see if you are located within the City of Gretna.
When does the Mayor and City Council meet?
Official city business occurs on every second Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers in Gretna City Hall. See our events calendar for specific dates. Special meetings may be called at any time provided that notice is given 24 hours prior to meeting as per Louisiana State Law.
What types of payments are accepted by the City of Gretna?
All types of payments are accepted by the City - cash, check or credit card. For any deposits, only cash or check will be accepted.
Where can I obtain a Driver's License?
The State of Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles has its closest office to Gretna at 2150 Westbank Expressway in Harvey, La. 70058. The hours of business are Monday through Friday form 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. No outside driving tests will be given between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Please contact the OMV for more details at (877) 368-5463 or go to
Where can obtain a copy of a birth certificate or a death certificate ?
Residents of the City of Gretna, Jefferson and Orleans Parishes are serviced by the Office of Vital Statistics located at 1450 Poydras. Please contact (504) 593-5100 or go to their website
How do I become a registered voter?
Contact the Register of Voters Office at (504)349-5690 or go to 5001 Westbank Expressway, Suite C-2, Marrero, Louisiana 70072. See the below link to their webpage.
I am going to either remodel or renovate my home or business. What type of work requires a building permit?
Repairs, renovations, restorations, sheetrock, electrical or plumbing work, and most exterior work require a permit. Please contact the Building Official's office for more details. Call (504) 363-1563. Work must be performed by a City of Gretna licensed professional. For contractors who wish to obtain an electrical or plumbing license, go to Gretna City Hall. Please contact the licensing department for more details at (505) 363-1556 or (504)363-1555.
How can I rent a shelter at a Gretna park such as Mel Ott, Gretna City Park or Bellevue?
To rent a shelter, please contact the Recreation Department at (504) 363-1597. There is a $50.00 refundable clean-up deposit and the cost to rent a shelter is $35.00 for the day. The cost to rent the Gazebo at Mel Ott Park is $75.00 per day.
How can I have water service connected or disconnected and what do I have to bring with me?
To apply for water service, you must go to Gretna City Hall at 2nd St. at Huey P. Long Ave. Room 109. Homeowners must provide proof of ownership, a valid photo ID, and $100.00 for the deposit. Renters must provide a copy of their lease, a valid photo ID, and $125.00 for the deposit. Commercial accounts must provide a valid photo ID, a copy of their lease or proof of ownership, and pay a deposit based on water meter size: 3/4" = $150.00 deposit 1" = $200.00 deposit 2" = $300.00 deposit To have your water service disconnected, please visit our office and complete a "close-out" form so that a final billing can be determined and we can forward the balance of your deposit to your new address.
Who are the major employers in Gretna?
Since Gretna is the seat of parish government, the largest employer in Gretna is Jefferson Parish. Retail Department Stores in our commercial shopping district such as The Home Depot and Academy Sports and Outdoors have a large number of positions. Zatarain's, a national food manufacturer, has its plant facility in Gretna and has over 200 employed.
What are the operational hours of the Gretna/Canal Street Ferry?
The Gretna Ferry is presently out of service.
Can I pay my traffic ticket at Gretna City Hall?
No. You will need to visit 327 Huey P. Long Avenue, which is located across the street from the covered market. For faster service, please bring your paperwork with you when making payments.
Results 1-18 of 18